Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Vf variety failures?

Posted by Brian Caldwell 
Vf variety failures?
September 04, 2017 03:18PM
Do folks have Vf varieties like Liberty, Enterprise, Pristine, Goldrush, etc with scab infections? Are they severe or mild? I've heard of this, but in our orchard these varieties are scab free in spite of heavy pressure.
On a slightly different topic, Akane is thought to have good non-Vf scab resistance. This year it is fairly scabby in our orchard, similar to Melrose. But Tompkins King is notably clean. Do people have other candidates for non-Vf scab resistance?

Hemlock Grove Farm
Zone 5 in New York
Re: Vf variety failures?
September 05, 2017 02:08PM
Hi, Brian -

We grow Jonafree, Liberty, Pristine, and Goldrush plus Crimson Crisp and Pixie Crunch (not immune but resistant) and have never had a scab issue on any of them. Not even this year which has been our worst ever for scab. Of the other varieties we grow, the most resistant seem to be Honeycrisp, Golden Russet, Ashmead's Kernel, Roxbury Russet (the russeted varieties in general do well). Strangely Empire also does well in our orchard.

Door Creek Orchard
Zone 5a in Wisconsin
September 07, 2017 12:50AM
Hi Brian,
We have many varieties of scab resistant apples. I know Florina (Querina) is one with non Vf type. Our two trees of it both died last year though, from blossom blast (pseudomonas). We also weren't thrilled with the flavor.

I thought I read that Crimson Topaz is also a non Vf, but I cannot verify that. It is one of our favorites for taste and fruit quality. It does not get scab, but is quite susceptible to fire blight. Crimson Crisp and Wine Crisp are two other good scab resistant ones we grow. We had a heavy pressure scab year too, but the scab resistant ones have all held up.

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California
October 27, 2017 10:16PM
Thanks for those responses! Our experience is the same. This year our Liberty, Enterprise, Gold Rush, Redfree, and Pristine were completely free of scab.
Zea, do you know much about blossom blast? In past years we've had those symptoms (brown dead flower clusters) in some trees and I've always wondered what to do about it.

Hemlock Grove Farm
Zone 5 in New York
October 28, 2017 06:00PM
I have a number of Vf varieties, none have had a single spot of scab..
They are: Freedom, Liberty, Redfree, William's Pride
Plus the Canadian introductions (also with Vf gene): Belmac, Britegold, Moira, Novamac, Richelieu
Note my orchard is strictly no-spray... And in my location (North-East near Quebec), there is a lot of scab on susceptible varieties.

Other non-Vf varieties on which I have never seen any scab: Ashmead's Kernel, Belle de Boskoop, Duchesse, Frostbite, Golden Russet, Honeycrisp, Katja, Kerr, Lodi, Pomme Gris, Sandow.

Very scabby ones are the McIntosh family (Lobo, Fameuse, Cortland, Mantet), but Spartan is much less susceptible. Also Honeygold is quite bad.

All others may have a scab spot here and there, but it never is a problem.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
December 21, 2017 02:41AM
I don't know much about blossom blast except it is apparently in the soil all the time and there is nothing you can do once you get it. Our symptoms didn't show up at bloom, but in late spring when the trees were all green and healthy and the suddenly in a matter of two or three days they just died, with the leaves turning brown but not falling off. It has struck about 2 to 4 trees each year. This year it was Mutsu trees. We have had a couple of trees re-grow healthy wood after getting it, but most of them don't. Very frustrating!

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California
December 27, 2017 10:56AM
I'm going to start a new thread called "Blossom Blast."

Mike Biltonen, Know Your Roots
Zone 5b in New York
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login