Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Sooty blotch/flyspeck

Posted by Josh Karp 
Sooty blotch/flyspeck
June 22, 2018 09:48AM
I have some vars that are susceptible to summer diseases & want to start doin something about it. Not willing to spray sulfur all summer..was thinking about Regalia - this product claims to give 'induced systemic resistance' to trees so they can fight off these diseases. sooty blotch & fly speck are listed on the Regalia label as controllable diseases. Wondering if anyone's used Regalia for this purpose, and also the application timing..was thinking that since SB & FS develop gradually over many rain events, spraying before a rain would be the right approach. I wonder how long the ISR 'lasts' after a spray.
Or, does anyone have other tricks to deal with summer diseases? I've been trying to prune with airflow/drying in mind..but maybe I've just not been pruning out enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2018 09:51AM by Josh Karp.
Re: Sooty blotch/flyspeck
June 25, 2018 10:45AM
Last year I used Regalia to address sooty blotch and fly speck in a block of Fuji, Goldrush, and Pink Lady. I was not pleased with the results, but assume that the problem may be that I was not using a strong enough rate. I sprayed 1 qt/A approximately every 10 days during the typical season for these diseases. I think I'll increase my rate this year, unless others would advise against it as a waste of money. I'd love to hear what others have to say about this.

Clair Kauffman
Zone 6b, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
June 26, 2018 03:58PM
Each pathogen has a strategy by which to gain access to plant tissue and thus cause infection. The "aesthetic fungi" that cause sooty blotch and flyspeck feed on the waxy plant cuticle. What we can do as growers to alter this dynamic is either apply an across-the-board toxin (like summertime copper) or help the plant create a more robust cuticle where surface niches are filled with friendly organisms. Immune phytochemistry is not directly called into play in such a scenario as the action is taking place on the fruit surface rather than within tissue. A product like Regalia may help boost tree metabolism through an induced systemic response but it's kind of a back door approach to only part of the solution. I'm not surprised by your experience, Clair, though I do wonder why these summer diseases are listed on the product label. Perhaps the extraction chemistry used to get constituents out of knotweed root (the herbal essence of Regalia) contributes an abrasive edge to knock back SBFS fungi?

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 06:50AM by Michael Phillips.
June 27, 2018 08:56AM
I appreciate the feedback!

Clair Kauffman
Zone 6b, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login