Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

fabrea leaf spot on pear

Posted by Peter Fisher 
fabrea leaf spot on pear
April 03, 2014 12:57PM
What about Fabraea leaf spot on pears? This is a problem I have had for the past three years. I have seen quite conflicting advice: (1) spray with Bordeaux mix when leaves are half out, then at 2 week intervals but stop when buds start to open; and (2) spray with Bordeaux mix "in June and July" -- this from Penn State extension. Huh?

Turkey Creek Orchard
Solon, Iowa (zone 5A)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 09:29AM by Michael Phillips.
Re: fabrea leaf spot on pear
April 09, 2014 10:29AM
Hi Peter,

We had this pop up on our trees last summer. I don't have a tried and true recipe yet, but for here in Michigan which is humid.

If you can, sanitation would be helpful if you are small enough to pick up fallen leaves in autumn to reduce overwintering inoculum. If not, and even with this, try Phillips holistic spray approach with microbes in autumn and again first up in spring targeting the ground as well as the tree.

We'll be getting 3 coats of Surround on at white before any blooms are open, plus neem on the last coat. Then we'll be maintaining surround for the first month after petal fall, and using Neem or Serenade for the first 6 weeks after petal fall, with is the primary infection period up here. So in other words fungicide applications through June-July ish.

I can't vouch for whether for whether this will work, but it's what we have planned. smiling smiley Susan
Re: fabrea leaf spot on pear
April 09, 2014 10:32AM
oops and forgot the compost tea! we will up the frequency of this, this year, but it't not enough yet on its own in our orchard. we're still working through trace mineral deficiencies and once that's resolved hope the trees will need less support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login