Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

An unexpected grub toxin?

Posted by Joanne Patton 
An unexpected grub toxin?
March 23, 2017 11:47AM
Ever hear of beetleGONE! or grubGONE! ? It's Btg (Bacillus thuringiensis galleriae) . Check out http://greenearthagandturf.com/biological-insect-beetle-control-phyllom-beetle-gone-bt.shtml
Labeled for organic production and "effective against a wide host of scarab beetles, chafers, borers and weevils and is safer for pollinators such as bees, people, plants, animals and the environment than other organic or chemical alternatives. Beetles will not develop resistance to this natural biological control."

They've had some production delays but here is the latest updated I received a month ago::

We are contacting you as you have requested updates on our beetleGONE! or grubGONE! products. We have recently heard from the manufacturer, and we wanted to update you on the 2017 status for these great organic products.

The manufacturer has found a new production facility and started production late in 2016. They now have a second manufacturing facility up and running as well. We were told there is an outside chance that grubGONE! may be available for the spring application season in late March, but we don’t want to make any promises due to the past production difficulties. We will plan for not having the product for March, but hope that we are wrong. However, the manufacturer is very confident that product will be available for the beetle season in the late spring, as well as for the late summer/early fall grub season. The fall application is the most important for grub control; if applied correctly in the fall there will be no need to do a spring application the following season as the spring grubs are simply the fall grubs that over-wintered deep in the soil. Due to the extreme drought last summer and fall, grub pressure was limited in 2016 (unless irrigation was present). If you did not have grub issues in the fall, then a spring grub application will not be necessary this year.

Due to the success it has shown in university and field trials, the demand for these products has been tremendous and is the main reason the manufacturer had to move to bigger facilities. We thank you for your patience while the manufacturer worked to meet this tremendous demand, it will be worth the wait as the product works as well as synthetic products without the harm to the environment, pollinators and aquatic species!

We will continue to do our best to obtain frequent updates and current information from the manufacturer as the production progresses; we will keep you informed as soon as we get more information. If you have any questions in the meantime, please let us know.”

Hope this is helpful!

[Editor's Note: This deserves attention as hot topic in its own right, as an alternative to parasitic nematodes.]

Joanne Patton, Squire Oaks Farm
Zone 6A, Northern Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 06:38PM by Michael Phillips.
Re: PC and nematodes
March 24, 2017 01:27PM
Thanks, Joanne! This definitely looks like something worth trying. Are you planning on using it this year?

Door Creek Orchard
Zone 5a in Wisconsin
Re: An unexpected grub toxin?
March 24, 2017 09:30PM
You bet I am, as soon as it's available! I'm going to try both the soil drench for grubs and foliar for the JP. Will let the group know when I'm notified of its availability. You can also request to be put on the mailing list for updates (info@greenearthagandturf.com) - I'd imagine their website will be updated too.

Looking forward to trying it!

March 27, 2017 08:26PM
I wonder if this might be effective against Plum Curculio? Curcs are a type of beetle. I saw nothing on their website about efficacy against Curculios, but research dollars only go so far. I would be curious if you notice any results against the dreaded curcs.

Russ Martin
Zone 4b Extreme west Central Wisconsin Hager City, WI
March 31, 2017 02:02PM
This just in about the beetleGONE! and grubGONE! products:

"The manufacturer has said that the products will not be available this spring, but that they will be available in Summer and Fall.

Unfortunately the beetleGONE! active microbe (Bacillus thuriengensis galleria or Btg) is not effective against Plum Curculio, which is a very difficult pest. There are a couple options organically, we carry EcoTrol & BotaniGard (Or Mycotrol) which have moderate efficacy. The best is Kaolin Clay, which is available in a lot of places...."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login