Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Mystery bug

Posted by Peter Fisher 
Mystery bug
June 03, 2017 05:48PM
We found the bug pictured below feeding on a fruitlet. I have been monitoring for a variety of leafrollers, as well as the tufted apple bud moth, because the damage to the fruit that is pictured in the Tree Fruit Field Guide to Insects, .. etc.(particularly from the latter, or the obliquebanded leafroller) matches what we saw on our apples last year. Yesterday, the pheromone trap for the tufted apple bud moth was full of these bugs, which are clearly not tufted apple bud moths. These bugs are not attracted to any of the other four traps, which are all white Scentry wing traps with different pheromone lures. Looking through the Field Guide, the only thing that resembles it is the pale apple leafroller, but it is 14-16 mm long, whereas these bugs are 12 mm, and the pale apple leafroller does not have the oval shape or the long feelers.

Anyone got an idea?

Mystery bug photo

Turkey Creek Orchard
Solon, Iowa (zone 5A)
Re: Mystery bug
June 06, 2017 05:44PM
The view of a couple of entomologists is that it is probably a click beetle. Not sure why it was attracted to a tufted apple bud moth lure. And it was probably not chewing on the apple, since click beetles apparently only go for the foliage. So, one pest I can probably ignore.

Turkey Creek Orchard
Solon, Iowa (zone 5A)
Re: Mystery bug
June 07, 2017 06:14AM
I see the very occasional click beetle in early spring feeding on blossom buds. This is the same time that tarnished plant bug starts to get active. Neither are a big factor in the scheme of things. This is the beetle you can hold lightly between two fingers and it will "click" by bending where the front end meets the back end (technical insect lingo that). Those orangish wire worms in the soil are the larval stage.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login