Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

The blood runs within

Posted by Todd Parlo 
The blood runs within
March 20, 2016 01:15PM
The title stands just because, who wouldn't click on THAT.
The red-fleshed varieties certainly are crowd wow-ers. Hidden Rose is often mentioned due to good marketing, and it is a good tasting apple, with a pronounced watermelon flavor when I have ripened it long.( I will only refer to it as Arlie's Redfleshed here on out, since I received a phone call from the new "owners" of the trademarked name, seeking royalties. The original Arlie's was not developed by the owners. I will leave it at that). Almata is a favorite of mine, early to bear, very cold hardy, and a beautiful tree in both color and form. Redfield is also a good one, and nice large apples to boot. These last two are tart, but edible for tart lovers. Our pink pearl trees look like they will not make the zone 3 cut, having produced a little, but suffer from extreme dieback. Others of note are the many crabs. We have redfleshed strains of Dolgo and Selkirk, both sizable enough for kitchen use or snacking. Selkirk is tarter than dolgo for sure. Oddballs to mention are the bud series rootstock, which make nice crabs in their own right for the kitchen. Small but usable. These are just some of the real redfleshers, but many red apples if ripened long enough will have bleeding into the flesh (Beacon is one). This color indicates a higher nutritional quality in the flesh as well. And of course, who could resist having some pinky purple blooms in the spring. When in doubt in your wild samplings, if you cut a twig and the wood is reddish, the tendency is that the fruit flesh and blooms will be tinted to the reds.

Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard
Zone 3 in Vermont

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 11:22AM by Todd Parlo.
Re: The blood runs within
March 21, 2016 04:46PM
Too bad the Pink Pearl isn't makin' it in zone 3 there - that's a fine apple! Alpenfire, the local cidery to whom we sell our apples, makes a fine single varietal cider out of the Hidden Rose, called "Glow". Not sure it's marketed out east, but grab a bottle if you can. Much of the color remains post fermentation.

Nick Segner

Wildcat Valley Farm
Zone 8b
Olympic Peninsula Rainshadow
Port Angeles, Washington
June 24, 2016 10:18PM
Don't forget to mention Scarlet Surprise. The taste is a bit tart but it works well in pies, crisps, fruit salads and turns your lemonade pink! See it in my orchard here: [www.youtube.com]
June 26, 2016 12:27AM
We have planted every red-fleshed variety we could find but most of the trees are not bearing yet so I can't comment. Pink Pearl is outstanding in our region though and so we planted more of them this year. Besides the many of the ones mentioned above, we have Burford Red, Winekist, Grenadine, Pink Sparkle, Pink Princess, Firecracker (crab), and Mountain Rose. Maybe a couple of others too. Maybe this fall I can comment more.

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California
June 27, 2016 05:27PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum, what a huge wealth of info! We started planting our mostly cider orchard in 2012. But who can resist the red fleshed varieties? I bought several from Greenmantle and only 2 survived the first year (2012), Rubyiat and Nedzwetskyana. Both have developed scab, we are now searching for holistic help for these otherwise beautiful trees. We got one large, perfect Apple on the Nedz last year, deep purplish skin with blue bloom, and extremely dark red flesh. It is described as a crab, but this was a giant for a crab! Rubyiat tree has a very symmetrical growth habit, set a lot of fruit this year, but extremely scabby, will be good only for pressing. We also added Redfield last year. So far it does not seem to be affected by scab. Once we figure out where we can expand and put in more trees, I'll be looking for more red flesh varieties to try!

VistaRidge orchard, Quilcene, WA zone 8a est. 2012
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
June 27, 2016 05:54PM
My Niedwietschkaya, (or however you want to spell it in Western script) is similarly rather scab prone. But nowhere near as bad as Glowing Heart, (which I think was a selection from Fred Jansen, one of the founders of NAFEX. If I am correct, it arose in Ontario on the Niagara escarpment - drier than my Maritime Atlantic climate??)

Broomholm Orchard
Zone 5b in Nova Scotia
June 28, 2016 08:23PM
In eastern Canada, one of the most common redflesh variety is the Geneva, which was obtained as a seedling of M.niedzwetzkyana in Ottawa during the 1920's. It is used a lot by the Quebec cidermakers for rosé cider. In my orchard, this Geneva is scab resistant. It produces very acidic fruit with a lot of tannin and low in sugar. Blending with a sweet apple is required for a not-too-sharp cider.
I agree with David in that the Glowing Heart is quite scab sensitive. Also, it ripens much earlier and this makes it less suitable for cider making.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
June 28, 2016 08:34PM
I may add this link to a russian article with nice pictures of tha trees and of Niedzwetsky (the man who discovered it)
[berendeishche.livejournal.com]
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
July 02, 2016 10:58AM
My browser would not translate the page, unfortunately, because while the flower color is the same, the leaf color does not match the niedzwetskyanna trees that we have. Ours has very distinct purplish green leaves with almost a blue tint, and the leaves are large. Even new growth is colored, not the bright green that is shown in the photos. Too bad they did not post a fruit picture.

VistaRidge orchard, Quilcene, WA zone 8a est. 2012
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
August 13, 2016 12:13AM
We got out first harvests of two pink fleshed kinds this week. Pink Permain is an Etter variety and is an attractive fairly large apple. It seems to have a very narrow window of just ripe to over ripe. The sugar is higher than Pink Pearl but it is not as crisp. It is very pink. Pink Princess is a cross of Pink Pearl with a crab apple. Our two trees are not very vigorous and the few fruit were starting to drop so we picked the other 6 apples. They are pink but not as bright as the other pinks, and they are quite tart but crisp. They might not be quite ready.

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California
August 13, 2016 09:02PM
Zea Sonnabend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pink Princess is a cross of Pink Pearl with a crab apple....

Zea, is this the Pink Princess that was bred by Fred Janson in Ontario?
It was first introduced as Pink Lady in 1977, but the Australians did also release a Pink Lady, so Fred changed its name to Pink Princess in 1998...
If that is the one, it would be a cross of Pink Pearl x King of the Pippins (or Reine de reinettes in French). I remember Fred wrote to the NAFEX journal that as it was the daughter of a king, it deserved to be named princess...

I agree the flesh color isn't very deep, rather pinkish... nothing to compare with a true deep redflesh.

Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
August 16, 2016 01:00AM
Yes, this is attributed to Fred Janson, but my source, Trees of Antiquity, says it is Pink Pearl crossed with Bronze Leaf Crab.

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California
August 16, 2016 11:19AM
Zea Sonnabend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, this is attributed to Fred Janson, but my
> source, Trees of Antiquity, says it is Pink Pearl
> crossed with Bronze Leaf Crab.

I don't want to say anything against Trees of Antiquity, but in my opinion, the information originating from the breeder (Fred Janson) has good chances to be the most reliable...
Maybe it would be worth to ask Trees of Antiquity where they got their information from.
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
April 30, 2018 06:29PM
Hi, new to the forum, new to organic Apple farming. Fred Janson developed the red fleshed Pink Princess and Glowing Heart in our area of South central Ontario. We are growing both the above + Pink Pearl, Hidden rose, tickled pink, pink Pearmain and a few more of Albert Etters breeding. We are more interested in the baking qualities than the cider qualities and marketing them as such. China is currently planting the Redloves on mass to be used in red rose Apple juice. Baking qualities as some retain the red flesh after Baking, others keep the scarlet red when processed into Apple sauce. For us it's a mix of marketing with local history and mix of marketing a hip cool Apple to the greater Toronto Market.

Tom MacIntosh
Orchard Manager Paradise Fields
Hamilton Ontario Zone 6a
May 09, 2018 11:49PM
Hi all, The red fleshed varieties have always been popular for us. We direct market all our fruit and now these days most is in u pick. We did come up with a neat trick for our earliest red fleshed variety though, we will do mixed bags of Pink Pearls or Mott Pinks along with equal amounts of Gravensteins. We sell these along with a short recipe card for making "pink" apple sauce. Customers love it at our store and the farmers market!

I grow Mott Pink, Pink Pearl, Hidden Rose, Red Devil and Geneva Crab. The Redloves look particularly interesting due to their scab resistance and spreading out the harvest season.

Leslie Price
Jones Creek Farms
Lyman, WA
zone 8a
July 30, 2019 12:16AM
Leslie - What are you thoughts on Red Devil flavour wise and coloring wise?

Zone 8:
Vancouver Island, BC
CANADA
July 31, 2019 03:55PM
Im not sure my Red Devil is truly Red Devil.... I grafted several trees of this onto M26 in 2014 and now they are producing well but the flesh shows NO sign of color. The leaves of the trees are green and the fruit is somewhat flatish. Of course at this point the flavour is very tart as they are a ways away from maturity.
Cant seem to figure out how to att a pic to this post but you can see a pic i took this morn of the cut fruit i put up on my email.jonescreekfarms@yahoo.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login