Crimson Crisp
September 14, 2016 07:58AM
Since this variety was on Pat's list of ones he wanted to know more about, I thought it appropriate to write because I just ate my second one. Our trees are only in second leaf but we left about 8 apples on 30 trees so we could taste a few. What an awesome apple! About as fancy looking as you can imagine: large, symmetrical, vibrant even color and the character of flavor that I call "zingy" because it is so captivating in its sweet/tart balance. The trees are vigorous too, and it seems very disease resistant. It is a newer variety, but after spending hours per day packing Newtown Pippins, it is easy to appreciate symmetrical and red. Not that I mean to knock Newtowns; it is one of the all time greats for production and flavor, but it is very difficult to run through a sizing machine.

Fruitilicious Farm
Zone 9b in California
Re: Crimson Crisp
September 21, 2016 02:59AM
thanks for the report Zea, sounds good. I can hardly wait to try one myself ! I'm hoping this one does well here also, everything I read about it sounds just like you've described.

take care, Pat
September 21, 2016 09:07PM
Wanted to chime in too as we've been growing these for a bit - we love them! So do our customers. In fact, we are putting in a second row of them this spring. Wonderful punchy sweet/tart taste with a modern crisp texture. I'm an heirloom girl but these are one of my favorite modern releases. Good in cider, too. Definitely disease resistant. Two thumbs way up.

Door Creek Orchard
Zone 5a in Wisconsin
February 23, 2017 07:19AM
Wow I sure would love to get a few scions of this variety!

Vista Ridge Orchard
Zone 8a in Washington
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login