Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Waupaca County Seedlings

Posted by Henry Jacobson 
Waupaca County Seedlings
May 29, 2017 09:03PM
Some may think that New York or even Maine originated the most apple varieties in the country. This may be true but did you know Wisconsin was once up there for it's reputation of producing cold hardy varieties that could survive the harsh winters here. I can almost bet that no one here on this forum can come up with a county that has produced more notable (documented) apple varieties than good ol' Waupaca County which just happens to be the county I live in.

Everyone has heard of the famed Wolf River and the Northwestern Greening but have you heard of the Ratzburg or even the Weyauwega? Most likely not. If you have, I want to talk to you! I have a whole list of apple varieties that were documented that originated right here in Waupaca County and some were pretty amazing! I will list just the notable ones off the list or the ones that were popular and their descriptions. Apple pioneers like William Springer and Asa (Appletree) Barnes introduced most of these apples as they had quite the expansive nurseries.

Alden: medium to large, yellow-red apple; conical; keeper; early season. Much like the Blaine
but better bearer and quality. E.W. Wrightman of Weyauwega

Bennett: Resembles the Baldwin (generally dark red) and is profusely sprinkled with small grey dots. Excellent flavour; abundant bearer. Also called Bennett No. 1. A.S. Bennett of Royalton

Casey: Very large, green with red stripes; mid to late season (September); Seedling of Duchess; 12-20 oz.

Crocker: large, red striped apple; round-oblong; resembles the Pewaukee but lighter coloured. Late fall or early winter.

Granite Sweet: Beautiful, reddish-brown mottled, fair sized apple. 1 mile from Granite Quarry. Mrs. John Henry Smith planted in the front yard of their house. Winter apple and can keep for 2 years.

Garfield Sweet: Very large, bright red on yellow ground. Clear, fine sweet. Late apple. December-April. John Baxter of Lind planted in the orchard of MaWhinney

Jenny: In the Pewaukee family which originated from the Duchess. Longer than the Pewaukee. Large, oblong, white with red stripes; mild-sub acidic. Late season. Use: Dessert and Market

Lindcenter or Lindfield: Planted by Calvin Parker or A.M. Mickelson of the township of Lind. Looks almost exactly like the Longfield but 2-3 times larger. Large yellow green apple with red blush.

Ratzburg: Medium to large apple. 5-8 oz. possibly 9 oz. Found 1 mile south of Fremont. Duchess seedling. Yellow with splashed pink stripes. Midly tart. First year it bore 23 apples that weighed 25 lbs. As of 2017, the tree is 173 years old and still healthy.

Red Jacket: Late winter apple. Very dark red glossy skin. Resembling the Gilliflower in shape. Flesh is yellow, crispy and tart. Equal to the very best Greening dessert apple. The skin is as thickest and strongest of any apple. Very good for keeping. Geo. Edgar Tufts in Adams County, Wisconsin.

Waupaca: Large yellow apple with red blush and/or stripes. Tender and juicy. Flesh is yellow. Flavour is sub-acidic. Good for keeping as it ripens in November but cold storage helps deter rotting. Wrightman Orchard.

Waupaca Greening: Medium to large green with yellow ground apple November to Feburary. Wrightman Orchard.

Wisconsin Russet: Large green apple with russeting. Sunny side is a dark russet. Shaded side is a yellow russet. Fruit is much larger than the Golden Russet and same shape as Perry Russet and nearly as large. Fruit is very russety, yellowish-green but turning yellow at maturity. Keeps longer than any other Russet. Dark, thick, green leaves. Blight free and as hardy as the hardiest. William Mathews of Weyauwega.

Note that all of these apples are presumed extinct unless found. I have found the Ratzburg and it is very tasty! Dan Bussey of the Seed Savers Exchange has helped me identify the Ratzburg as an actual Ratzburg. Plus the tree is exactly 1 mile from where William Springer lived. The authors of old documents stated it to be 1 mile south of his property and the apple fits the description given by authors of old. Here is the complete 88 documented variety list from Waupaca County I have made in my spare time.

[docs.google.com]

Just copy and paste into the search and then you can scroll through the document. If anyone has heard ANYTHING about ANY of these apples please do not hesitate to contact me. Waupaca County is and will remain the banner county of the United States for producing hardy apple varieties.

Live and let live,
plant a tree and let it live.
-Appletree Barnes of Waupaca
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login