Welcome! Log In Create A New Account

Advanced

Black Oxford off colored/russet from the holistic sprays?

Posted by Karen Brindle 
Black Oxford off colored/russet from the holistic sprays?
November 12, 2018 12:58AM
Hi, we just got our first crop of Black Oxford this fall. The tree has received the holistic sprays and fermented teas. No copper or sulfur used. The texture and taste are wonderful, but there is light russeting and a greenish tinge like algae on parts of the fruit. The dark purple color that I expected is also present, but not 100% on any apple. Has anyone else experienced this? A few apples also had what looks like bitter pit spots so I'll be upping calcium for the tree.

Vista Ridge Orchard
Zone 8a in Washington
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
Re: Black Oxford off colored/russet from the holistic sprays?
April 27, 2020 03:20PM
Hi Karen, seems like we have a lot of the same varieties.... I've had Black Oxford for about 17 years now and has always looked bad, as per your description. My BO customers home in on that certain appearance and snatch them all up as soon as I show up with them. Some of those characteristics seem to be environmental as I have a competitor in a market from eastern WA (same varieties ripen 2 weeks earlier) who brings them and people come to me saying they didn't want to buy them because they don't look like BOsmiling smiley
The fruit has a unique flavor that appeals to many, as long as your not in the all crisp and no flavor Honeycrisp club. It is definitely a dry apple though. I am down to just 1 tree of it now due to low popularity.

Leslie Price
Jones Creek Farms
skagitvalleyfruit.com
Lyman, WA
zone 8a
Re: Black Oxford off colored/russet from the holistic sprays?
May 04, 2020 01:22PM
HI Leslie, thanks for the response. I really enjoy the flavor and texture of the Black Oxford in spite of the looks, fortunately we can add them to our cider apples we sell as they all get blended anyway. Our trees all have great bloom this year, hoping for a good crop and maybe my trial of Quantum in my sprays will make a difference In appearance.

Vista Ridge Orchard
Zone 8a in Washington
235 Cider and heritage apple trees, 72 varieties,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login