heirloom quiz
October 27, 2013 04:51PM
Here's a challenge: Identify the seven varieties of apples pictured here. Three have particular identifying factors (in my mind) but beyond that you probably need to be growing these to have a shot at this. All were picked here in northern New Hampshire "tree ripe" in mid-October. Remember, clicking on the image provides you with an expanded view. Good luck!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Re: heirloom quiz
October 28, 2013 06:47PM
Oh this is dastardly. I'll bite though.

Left to right: sweet 16 (second guess fireside), honeygold, blue pearmain, Baldwin, ashmead or golden russet (cleverly hidden), red baron (or honeycrisp), bethel.

Thought I'd embarrass myself so others would have confidence to play.

Walden Heights Nursery & Orchard
Zone 3 in Vermont
October 29, 2013 09:37PM
Three out of seven is a good start! Baldwin, Golden Russet, and Bethel now stand revealed. Who's next?

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
November 01, 2013 11:07PM
Nice work Todd . . .

*stepping up to the table*

1. Winesap
2. Wealthy
3. Black Oxford
4. baldwin
5. golden russet
6. Ribston Pippin
7. bethel

Gopher Hill Apples
Zone 8 in California
November 04, 2013 04:25PM
Another apple down ... Black Oxford indeed. Winesap was a good guess but it's simply not winter hardy here in Zone 4 verging on Zone 3.

Here are some clues to further the cause. Keep in mind these were all picked tree ripe in mid-October in northern New Hampshire:
1. Introduced to the public in 1944, so actually a deliberate cross; really good flavor so growers overlook russeting tendencies.
2. Distinctive red blush does not occur where widely grown in southern Appalachia. On a more personal note, I'm a Pennsylvania boy.
6. Open pollinated seeding of Duchess of Oldenburg with the high flavor of Cox Orange Pippin. Is that even possible?

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
November 05, 2013 02:06AM
OK.....lets try this on for size:
#1 Keepsake
#2 a York Imperial

Maple Frost Farm
Langdon, NH
Zone 5A
November 05, 2013 04:46AM
No gains here ...though Jack did indeed name a Pennsylvania cultivar. But frankly ... even in the legitimately flavor-friendly north ... York Imperial does not seem to rise above processing grade. Then again, let's keep trying y'all!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 01:39PM by Michael Phillips.
November 06, 2013 06:43PM
Michael wrote
6. Open pollinated seeding of Duchess of Oldenburg with the high flavor of Cox Orange Pippin.

Michael, are you sure you mean Duchess, and not Doktor Oldenburg?
There is a german apple named Geheimrat Doctor Oldenburg that is the seed parent of some high-flavored Cox-type apples, such as Alkmene, Erwin Bauer or Clivia...
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
November 06, 2013 08:15PM
I have just learned something then, Claude. The apple pictured is indeed Erwin Baur but a number of sources attribute the parentage to Duchess of Oldenburg ... which seemed a flavor stretch ... so now I know of Doktor Oldenburg. Thank you. It's worth pointing out that I now see Tom Burford has this fact right despite a number of nursery websites favoring the Duchess. How easy to cross our facts! Similarly, note the spelling: Erwin Baur was the director of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Breeding Research at the time this apple came on the scene in the 1930s.

The upshot? Apple 6 is Erwin Baur. And it's well worth the growing!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
November 06, 2013 08:44PM
I have also been confused some years ago by this Oldenburg name, as sometimes only the last part of the name (i.e. Oldenburg) has been used in some documentation, without the mention of either Doktor or Duchess, which led to the confusion.
And you are right for the spelling of Erwin Baur - I guess my finger hit the e with the r, and I didn't notice...

Now, for #1, looking at apples that were introduced around 1944 (I know I cheat, I can easily get that from my database)
I have Idared and Melrose that could fit the bill. I'd opt for the latter, but it could also be the first...
Claude

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
November 06, 2013 10:18PM
Michael wrote:
2. Distinctive red blush does not occur where widely grown in southern Appalachia. On a more personal note, I'm a Pennsylvania boy.
How about Newton Pippin?

Jolicoeur Orchard
Zone 4 in Quebec
November 08, 2013 03:04AM
Responding to a data base approach deserves no further indications, methinks. That said, All The Way Ohio determines the right choice here.

Newton Pippin is not a Pennsylvania-derived apple so no gain there.

The fun continues!

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
December 10, 2014 03:57AM
How about Wickson for #1. Maybe not a fair guess since my seedlings are far from producing fruit but I do know the variety was introduced in 1944 by Etter.

Pommes de Terre Acres
USDA Zone 5 - Dixon, Montana
Intermountain West Region
April 24, 2015 04:23AM
Ok I'll try!

How about Fallawater apple for #2?

Buzz Hill
Right on the line of Zone 6b-7a. Virginia
Piedmont Uplands.

Buzz Hill
6b-7a on the line, Piedmont Uplands of the Blue Ridge Mountains
Virginia
March 06, 2017 02:16AM
contest still going? how about Nittany for a good PA apple, at # 2. I didn't think it would do well up north though.

zone 6b NJ
also planting trees in 5b NY
March 06, 2017 01:37PM
An oldie but a goodie . . . I had not seen Laura's reply but number two is indeed Fallawater. Known as Winter Blush in northern zones. I once did a varietal talk with Tom Burford at Cider Days and he couldn't get over the blush factor as this just isn't seen down South.

Nittany was a good guess, Emily, particularly for this boy who looked out across Mt. Nittany for several years while at school at Penn State. But I digress . . . as I never have had that apple. I should graft it up here to see how it does.

Lost Nation Orchard
Zone 4b in New Hampshire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login